Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Peach Cobbler

It was Fathers day this past Sunday, so I asked Dad over for a special dinner. We sat down to a feast of hot wings with ranch dipping sauce, smoked BBQ pork ribs, potato salad and yummy grilled corn. I wanted a dessert that fit the meal, so decided on peach cobbler. When the dinner dishes were empty, the scraps piled high and tummys full, the smell of the peach cobbler from the oven made everyone decide they could fit that little bit more.

This quick and easy dessert has become a favourite in our house, we've even eaten it for dinner on more than one occasion. Happy to report that Dad loved it as much as we do, which is a good indicator of how yummy it is considering I'm pretty sure I inherited my sweet tooth from him.
I think my favourite part is that it can make it any time of the year, it doesn't matter if peaches are in season or not because peach cobbler is just as good with either fresh or tinned fruit. Please try it! It takes about five minutes to whip up and if you put it in the oven as you sit down to dinner it will be beautiful and golden by the time you are done. Top the warm peachy, cakey goodness with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!

Peach Cobbler (For uninterrupted recipe scroll the the end of post)

For the Peaches
1 large tin peaches (drained)
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon custard power or cornflour (or half of each)

For the Topping
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt

To make the Cobbler- Add the peaches, 1/4 cup of the sugar and custard powder/ cornflour in a medium bowl.
Gently mix together and set aside until the sugar has dissolved.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c.

To make the topping- cream together the butter and 1/2 a cup of the sugar with an electric mixer. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
Add the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt mix until all ingredients are combined.
Grease an 8 inch square baking pan (I've also used a pie dish) with butter, spread the peach mixture evenly in the pan.
Drop spoonfuls of the topping over the peaches and roughly spread out.
Bake the cobbler for 30 to 35 minutes until the peaches are bubbling and the top is nicely golden.
Enjoy with vanilla ice cream!

Peach Cobbler
1 large tin peaches (drained)
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon custard power or cornflour (or half of each)
Topping
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt
  • Add the peaches, 1/4 cup of the sugar and custard powder/ cornflour in a medium bowl. Gently mix together and set aside until the sugar has dissolved.
  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees c.
  • Cream together the butter and 1/2 cup of sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
  • Add flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt mix until all ingredients are combined.
  • Grease an 8 inch square baking pan with butter, spread the peach mixture evenly in the pan.
  • Drop spoonfuls of the topping over the peaches and roughly spread out.
  • Bake the cobbler for 30 to 35 minutes until the peaches are bubbling and the top is nicely golden.

33 comments:

  1. Yum! I am totally making this this weekend. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good cobbler and this one is certainly on my list to make now. I bet your Dad love it ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am searching like this type valuable information, it’s really helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel happy about and learning more about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep sharing your information regularly for our future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The information which you have provided is very helpful and precise.

    ReplyDelete

  7. Thanks for sharing this marvelous post. I m very pleased to read this article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The overall look of your site is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is really nice and sound really good

    ReplyDelete

  10. Thank you for sharing this useful article , and this design blog simple and user friendly regards.

    ReplyDelete

  11. is still among the leading topics of our time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your weblog is definitely worth a read if anyone comes throughout it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone an extremely breathtaking chance to read from this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's remarkable to discover somebody who has an admitted thought on this point.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Many thanks for the article, I have a lot of spray lining knowledge but always learn something new

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keep up the pleasant job. Thank youu!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Much obliged. Feel free to visit my website;

    ReplyDelete
  18. The web site style is perfect, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As I website possessor I believe the subject material here is rattling great,

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your writing very much! share we be in contact more approximately your post on AOL.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You should write more articles like this, you really helped me and I love the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post Thank you. I look forward to the continuation.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for posting such a wonderful article. It helped me a lot and I appreciate the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very nice blog post. I definitely love this site. Stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello. splendid job. I did not anticipate this. This is a impressive story.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The clearness in your post is just excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really liked your article post.Really thank you! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete


  31. The content on your site is great. I am impressed

    ReplyDelete

  32. Hi friends, its great article concerning tutoringand fully explained, keep it up all the time.

    ReplyDelete