Sunday, October 16, 2011

Red Riding Hood Cake

I was almost jumpimg up and down excited when I recieved an email from Enchanted Empire a few weeks ago, asking if I could make a wedding cake and a few other goodies for a display at the Queensland Bridal Expo. I was very happy to be involved, even more so when I found out the theme, Red Riding Hood. It was lovely meeting Brooke and Shae from Enchanted Empire, after discussing the concept for the display and their ideas for the cake, I couldn't wait to help bring their vision to life. Head over to the Enchanted Empire blog to take a look at their amazing work and read all about the Expo experience.
I also made some macarons to match the theme colours and some shinny red candy apples. I managed to find the cutest miniture apples to use for rustic toffee apples and in the decorations on the cake.
I had so much fun styling this cake, with so many great bits and pieces to work with there was definitely no lack of inspiration. The Enchanted Empire girls had found a whole bunch of goodies to decorate with, I loved the colours of the dried flowers and maple leaves and the cinnamon sticks made my whole kitchen smell yummy.
This was my first time working with flowers, I am no florist (althought I've often thought it would be a fun job) but I had a great time with this and was really pleased with how it turned out. My bench and floor were so covered with twigs and leaves by the time I was done, no matter how much I clean I'm sure bits will keep turning up for a good while.
I really love the Red and Wolf cameos the girls added to the cake, how awesome do they look.
There were times this cake and I were not on friendly terms, particularly when trying to cover the tall layer with fondant, it took a number of attempts but I so happy when I finally got it. By the time I had finished decorating the cake I had fallen in love, I had a tough time giving it up.
Thanks again to Brooke and Shae from Enchanted Empire for letting me be involved and for using their amazing photos.

10 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS! That is so beautiful! I expect pink from you :) I love all the lace accent boarders and the height on the top tier! Masterfully done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! I LOVE the red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. simply stunning! I will be stealing this idea for the toffee apples!

    Nom! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. That is a fantastic cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake is absolutely stunning! You have an amazing eye for design, such a great theme, I love the colour, in fact I love everything! So unique and so very beautiful. X x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kara Creative....That's what the Team here at Enchanted Empire call you !! Thank you again for our masterpiece and we look forward to working with you in the near future. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that looks so great, you did a totally fabulous job Kara.

    ReplyDelete