Monday, April 18, 2011

Glazed Pumpkin Scones


Lately I've found myself day-dreaming about pumpkin scones, well actually its a little more specific than that, I've been daydreaming about munching on a pumpkin scone, with a big coffee, on a sunny, clear Autumn day in Boston gardens. The weather here at the moment is reminding me of our holiday last year, I had read about Starbucks pumpkin scones before our trip and they were one of the first things I sort out after arriving.

There are so many versions of this recipe around, mine is a little different because it uses fresh Pumpkin. After doing a bit of searching I realized there is no such thing as pumpkin in a can in Brisbane Australia, unless I wanted to pay $6 a tin from the candy store that imports a selection of American foods. No thank you!


They mashed pumpkin worked just as well and the scones turned out exactly as I remembered, slightly orange coloured with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. As tasty as the scones are its the glaze that makes me swoon, a vanilla glaze drizzled with spiced icing, yum!


I will definitely be making them again, only next time I might make them half the size, then maybe some other people will get to share.


Pumpkin Scones (Adapted from- food.com)

2 cups all-purpose flour
7 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
6 tablespoons cold butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin (I used steamed, mashed fresh pumpkin)
3 tablespoons half-and-half (I used 2 tablespoons cream, 1 tablespoon milk)
1 large egg

To make the scones-Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. and line a baking tray with baking paper.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Using a flat bladed knife or food processor, cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter are obvious. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, milk, cream (or half and half), and egg.


Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.


Form the dough into a ball.


Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle (about 9 inches long and 3 inches wide). Use a large knife or a pizza cutter to slice the dough twice through the width, making four equal portions. Cut those four slices diagonally so that you have 8 triangular slices of dough. Place on prepared baking sheet.


Bake for 15-20 minutes, until scones are light brown, cool on a wire rack. (Prepare the vanilla glaze)

When scones are cool, use a pastry brush to paint the vanilla glaze over each scone and allow to set. (Prepare the spiced icing)


Drizzle the spiced icing over the top of each scone and allow to set.


Vanilla Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

To make the vanilla glaze- Mix the powdered sugar and 2 tbsp milk together until smooth.

Spiced Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch ginger
1 pinch ground cloves

To make the spiced icing- Combine the ingredient for the spiced icing together.

Enjoy.

7 comments:

  1. these look lovely and so moist! Had never heard of them before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scones and these glazed pumpkin look amazing and beauty! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. DIES! I've been waiting to make my SBUX Pumpkin Scone recipe for some time now. Instead, I just mashed up a squash for some soup! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are my all time favorite scones! I have some pumpkin at home... and even though I recently made scones I will be making these too!
    I use the same recipe :)
    Love the old recipe zaar.
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great and sound like a must try, I wish my hubby was more into pumpkin, he doesn't really get it. I on the other hand love baking with pumpkin so may just have to have these all to myself.

    For some reason your comments always go straight to my spam comments section, they could not be less spamy so I have no idea why but I always check now just for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I love it and would love for you to join the Glitter Link Party! http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/04/running-with-glitter-6-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete